OK that’s not true my cat is not an insomniac, he’s a cat and he’s nocturnal and he sleeps A LOT and I’m just plain jealous!!!!! He even had the nerve to sleep beside me while I was writing this post.
For as long as I can remember I have not been a good sleeper 🙁
I CRAVE a full night’s sleep…so I’ve started to research the subject of SLEEP.
Here are some interesting facts about sleep that you may or may not know:
- Sleeping at night enhances our creativity. ( I really better start getting my 40 winks…lol)
- The ability to come up with and solve complex problems is hugely enhanced by a good nights sleep. (again another reason I better start sleeping more)
- Much of society these days is also sleep-deprived. (good to know I’m not alone!!)
- Another connection between loss of sleep is weight gain. (Yay, now I know what do blame for my 20 lb weight gain…:))
- Tired people are hugely stressed. (uh oh)
Ok all interesting facts but the BIG question is
WHAT CAN BE DONE TO ENSURE A GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP???
This is what most of the research confers on:
- Make your bedroom a haven for sleep. Make it as dark as you possibly can, and also make it slightly cool.
- Reduce your amount of light exposure at least half an hour before you go to bed. Light increases levels of alertness and will delay sleep.
- Also, try not to drink caffeine too late in the day.
- Turn off cell phones, computers anything that will stimulate the brain, get the TV out of the bedroom or anything else that doesn’t belong in there, like a treadmill :))
- Wind down. Do those sorts of things that you know are going to ease you off into a lovely dew of slumber, have a nightly routine (say your prayers, meditate…)whatever it takes.
I’m confident all this will work for me too, now just to put it to practice and enjoy a full night’s sleep – ahhh that will be such A Wandaful Thing!!!