I started this post almost a year ago but didn’t know whether I should share it or not or if anyone would really want to read it but I decided to update and finish it and take a chance and do this for me!
Please bear with me as I pour my heart out.
BUT if you really don’t want to read the whole thing, just skip to the end where I summarize and tell you about my lessons learned!
- got fed up with life early in 2013 – needed a life change
- ended a relationship that we both really tried hard to figure out
- moved 5000 kms away from everyone I knew and loved in October 2013
- had no job for the first four months, cleaned apartments to have a roof over my head
- the people (friends) who you thought would support your decision didn’t – OUCH!!
- Christmas of 2013 was the lowest point I had reached in quite sometime (a year after the death of someone I held very close to my heart and still miss). I had none of the “usual” things surrounding me that I took for granted – started to think I made a mistake and was contemplating my place in this big wide world
- eventually found a job in a similar field to what I left behind but I was miserable almost every single day and the commute was 2 hours 20 minutes per day -ugh!
- found new love and started a new life BUT nothing seemed easy (much turmoil in this relationship but that’s for another day)
- one of the people who kept in touch (and still does almost daily) is a true inspiration and encouraged me because she told me she admires me and believes in me – POWERFUL WORDS that I needed and I don’t think she realized just how much – this I am forever grateful for
- I had some very bad luck with my health for what seemed like almost an entire year (mid 2014- mid 2015), a surgery that went wrong, three trips to hospital by ambulance, two that resulted in overnight stays and another surgery
- I needed to take charge of my life and get things back on track and find things that made me happy
- thanks to the encouragement of my dear friend I started blogging again after a long hiatus – changed the name to be more reflective of who I am today
- when I moved I liquidated most of the things I had collected, then when I got settled into my new life I started missing some of those things, especially the things that bring back good memories
- I slowly started to collect vintage items again, it sort of turned into an obsession, which turned into an on-line vintage FB and Etsy selling business
- I changed jobs after 15 months and it was the best move for me, my commute now is only 17 minutes each way
Continue reading Part of my story and the things I’m grateful for…
It has been quite awhile since I’ve heard from my friend the Surly Mermaid. The expressions expressed are hers and hers alone but I do enjoy providing a forum for her to express herself.
Facebook Status- The Irritation Game
I have been known to delete Facebook “friends” over their stupid Facebook status updates. I can’t believe all the incessant whining . It gets to be very annoying.
Really, there is no need to post all your perceived medical drama on line because all the world has already figured out that you are a hypochondriac. Seriously, stop posting all your problems because I am embarrassed for you. There needs to be an eye roll button. Charlie Brown definitely had it right…
Next comes the “links”. All the stupid “links” looking for “likes”. I want Facebook to have a “dislike” button. Oh yeah, wouldn’t that be awesome but I am sure I would be accused of being a cyber bully because I would use that one waay too much.
Continue reading Ramblings about Facebook from the Surly Mermaid
I must apologize for missing a post on June 30, because for the first time ever we took three weeks vacation (in a row) and believe it or not some of the places we visited did not have any cellular or internet service 🙂 .
We went back to my home province of Nova Scotia and spent much of the time on Cape Breton Island.
We covered a lot of territory and I can happily say I can check some items off my Summer Bucket List.
I must thank my dear friend Amelia P from You Can Always Start Now for jumping in and doing a guest post last Monday – what would I do without her? Happy to report we did get to have a face to face visit.
The main reason and most important reason for our trip was to be….
Continue reading Where in the world was “A Wandaful Thing”???
Hello, I have commandeered Wanda’s site as she is on vacation and asked me to guest post on overflow for summer spaces. I have been thinking about shaking things up at my place.
I have a small balcony that measures 12 feet x 4 feet and have been very busy lately checking out ideas, online. You can also find some pictures I have posted on my own site www.youcanalwaysstartnow.wordpress.com of options for small balcony spaces. I love the use of rugs, cushions and extra storage (I won’t say for what but you’ll see when you check them out).
While looking around for balcony ideas I came across a few for larger areas and thought why not share over at Wanda’s as she is working away on her yard and always likes to check out new things. So have a look and let us know what you think or if you have any ideas please share.
So let summer begin with outdoor living, BBQ, good weather and fun friends!
I know Wanda will think it is A Wandaful Thing!! 🙂
It’s been awhile since I heard from my friend |The Surly Mermaid” she lives back East and was probably buried in snow for the last while. I am so glad she has resurfaced as I love hearing about her quips and snibs of what’s on her mind. So without further adieu….
Continue reading Cheeseburger Anyone?
The Wonders of Hot Chocolate.
As a Canadian Gal, I am used to the cold and snow. Over here on the Atlantic side, we have become accustomed to a milder winter. In fact, it was something like 12C on Christmas Day, but we seem to be paying the price for that now:(
I wonder to myself (or maybe out loud)when will this winter, which is much like the ones of my childhood, ever end? I am an avid downhill skier but the thought of strapping on those fiberglass boards to my ski boots and hurling myself down a mountain, in this bone numbing cold, with the snow whipping in my face, nah it just isn’t doing it for me this year.
As I sit here sipping on my hot chocolate, gazing out my window, realizing I am all warm and cozy in my onesie, (yes I am a grown woman who wears a onesie) I ponder the question, have I become a winter whimp?
After another delightful sip, I sit down, find the remote, click on the weather channel and think, wow it must really suck to live in other parts of the world right now… ah I guess I don’t have it so bad afterall.
The moral of this is story ….
Hot Chocolate is A Wandaful Thing!!
Til next time, stay warm -The Surly Mermaid!