I have to give credit where credit is due for the idea of posting about “simple” things. Amelia from YouCanAlwaysStartNow and I collaborate regularly on ideas for posts like travel, life, monthly challenges, as well as many other things.
Today’s simple things ideas is all about keeping food fresher or lasting longer.
Prevent Brown Sugar from hardening – this is a pet peeve for me.
- Keeping brown sugar in the freezer will stop it from hardening. But if you already have hardened sugar on your shelf, soften it by sealing in a bag with a slice of fresh bread or an apple — or by microwaving on high for 30 seconds.
Prevent Bacteria Growth On Dairy
- In order to make cottage cheese or sour cream last longer, place the container upside down in the fridge. Inverting the tub creates a vacuum that inhibits the growth of bacteria that causes food to spoil.
- Store crispy and chewy cookies in separate containers. If you combine them, the moisture from the chewy cookies will make the crispy ones lose their crunch.
Ripen Fruit Quickly
- To ripen fruit overnight, place it in a paper bag with an apple. Apples release ethylene gas that hastens the maturing process of other fruits.
- Package extra pancakes and waffles as single servings in airtight plastic bags and freeze. When you need a quick breakfast, just reheat the frozen treats in your toaster.
5 Simple things to help keep food fresh or last longer, It’s A Wandaful Thing!
What other things do you do to keep food fresh?
Thanks for stopping by. I hope to see you back here.
I’d love it if you would follow me at all these lovely places:
Twitter @awandafulthing, https://www.facebook.com/awandafulthing